This Independence Day, let’s take a step forward to make periods free from myths and stigmas.
Have you ever wondered why women are shy to talk about periods? or Why do people have a negative attitude towards periods?
We as women know that periods are an irreplaceable phase of women’s life. Women have to face problems related to periods every month. Regular periods are signs of a healthy body of a woman. Still, our society holds various stigma-associated periods. After 75 years of independence in India, the menstruation cycle has not got freedom from myths and stigmas. People are not able to change their beliefs towards menstruation cycles. Periods are termed as ‘impure’ and ‘dirty’ due to which women have to face the stigma and myths with other menstrual problems during periods.
- Women are not allowed to cook during periods
- They are not allow to enter temples or conduct any rituals during periods, as they are ‘impure.’
- Women should not touch pickles during periods.
- As menstruating women are impure, they are kept in a separate room or hut till the end of the period.
- Showering during periods will lead to infertility
- One should keep Sanitary Napkins in a secret place.
- Schoolgirls are not allow to participate in the classroom as there is a belief that girls are unclean during periods.
All these myths and stigmas cumulatively lead to poor menstrual hygiene and create mental stress during periods. Many women suffer from various menstrual diseases due to unhygienic menstrual practices and following the myths related to periods.
Ways to get freedom from periods myths and stigmas:
- Period Education: One of the most accessible and acceptable ways to bust all the myths is period education. Period education is a must for women as it will create awareness about various menstrual products and encourage women to use them during periods. It will also help women maintain menstrual hygiene during periods and develop a positive attitude towards periods.
- Selling period products at free or low cost: As women who live in rural areas are not aware of period products, period education will help create awareness about the menstrual materials. Another problem faced by women is, they can’t afford to buy a pack of sanitary napkins or other menstrual materials. So, selling period products at low cost will encourage women to use sanitary napkins during periods. Even one can distribute hygienic napkins for free for women at their doorstep or by installing a Stree Sanman Sanitary Napkin Vending Machine.
Stree Sanman Sanitary Napkin Vending Machine is a sanitary napkin dispensing machine that will provide sanitary napkins to women during periods. These machines can be install in offices, hospitals, educational institutions, and public toilets. Installation of Sanitary Napkin Vending Machine will not help women during periods with free sanitary napkins but will also help abolish the stigma and taboos related to periods.
It’s hard to believe that these myths exist and are follow by women, but they do and need to be busted. These myths and taboos are not only crazy and ridiculous, but it also affects the menstrual health of a woman. This independence day, let’s decide to give freedom to periods from myths and stigmas.
The good news is that an organization is making a difference each day to eliminate period myths and stigma. Stree Sanman is a manufacturer of Sanitary Napkin Vending Machine and Incinerators who is making endless efforts to end period poverty; by distributing sanitary napkins through Sanitary Napkin Vending Machine at free or affordable prices. Such practices will help women with easy accessibility of sanitary napkins and will also end period stigma.
To know more about Stree Sanman’s products, visit:
Click here to read more blogs